I just purchased some bottle cap stamps from inkadinkado that I wanted to try out. I thought it would be fun to make some rusty Halloween bottle caps.
First I created a bunch of cool Halloween colors with alcohol ink. Then I stamped with archival ink.
Then I prepared some rusty bottle caps. I could only find bottlecaps with letters on them but the letters got covered up by the stamped circles that I cut out and glued into the bottle caps. I sealed the surface of the images with matte medium and let them dry. After they were dry I covered them with rock candy crackle and let that dry. I used black soot distress paint to bring out the cracks.
For the pumpkin I wanted to go old school and cast some plaster in a mold. I used to make and paint lots of plaster crafts as a child. I poured a plaster product into a Wilton black cat and jack-o-lantern cookie mold to make the jack-o-lantern. $2.00 for the mold!
I enjoyed using the alcohol ink on my steampunk clock project so I again used several colors of alcohol ink on the pumpkin. I used a 2-step crackle product on the pumpkin and after it was dry I rubbed black soot distress paint into the cracks and wiped it off. Love the crackle! I'm starting to enjoy the alcohol inks a little more and like the bright vivid colors!
Spooky Polymer Clay Candle
The owl is a purchased figurine and the red skull is a large carved bead. I made the candle on the skull with polymer clay. There are lots of tutorials on youtube showing how to make miniature candles out of polymer clay.
The box base for my project was left-over from some packaging. I painted it all colors of rust and used some rust effects powder on it too.
Tim Holtz Halloween Catalog Background
I recently purchase the Tim Holtz halloween catalog background stamp and was excited to give it a try! It was on sale at Joann.com for $9.54! Check it out as it's still on sale! What a cool stamp!
I stamped on some tissue paper with archival ink. Then on the other side of the tissue paper I used the shattered stencil with linen distress paint. I used matte medium to stick the tissue paper onto my project. When it was dry the distress shattered web showed through the stamped image. Pretty cool!
Putting it all Together
I made some fabric flowers with the tattered floral die, and a matching bow. I cut out some felt bats using the Tim holtz large witch die. I put it all together using foam tape to make the bottle caps and pumpkin dimensional. I added some embellishments and hung it up on my piano to take a photo!
I love the rust effect on the bottle caps and box that instantly age the project! I also love my new scary Tim Holtz Halloween Catalog background stamp!
It was fun to make this old school project featuring common stuff like plaster, tissue paper, bottle caps, fabric, felt, and an old box, and dress it up with various effects to make it look old and scary!
Thanks for checking out my project and for inspiring me to create! Your wonderful projects make me happy! Xo-xo!