Thursday, November 7, 2013

November 2013 Tag based on Tim Holtz tags of 2013

http://timholtz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/novembertag.jpg

Here is my tag based on the November Tim Holtz 12-tags-of-2013 tutorial. I was excited to play with chalk because I'd never tried that technique yet from the Chemistry 102 course. So I got out the old school chalk and was ready to try some fingerpainting!

It turned out pretty cool and wasn't hard. I was expecting it to be hard because everyone said it would take lots of trial and error, but the tutorial worked great for me. Here's what I did. I had some cool vintage-looking manila folders from Hobby Lobby, the package said Fiddlestix Paperie. I used the Tim Holz Mover's and Shapers Tag and Bookplates Die to cut out some tags. Now I have some really cool bookplates to go on another project too!


Then I got out some Americana chalkboard paint, and used my fingers to paint an area on the tags. Pretty messy but enjoyable. I painted on two coats. Then I let it dry overnight. Hey, see my cool glass owl place-mat for my spot at the kitchen table so I won't keep ruining my table/tablecloth with my painting projects. I have other places I could paint, but I always seem to like to paint at the kitchen table where more stuff is happening.


Then I stamped using Ranger Distress embossing ink, and poured on the ranger antiquities Frosted embossing powder. I heated it up carefully because I was afraid the chalkboard paint might bubble or melt, but it didn't. I didn't hold the heat gun too close and waited until the embossing powder just barely melted.


Then I got the side of the square chalk and just drew on the embossed image and it worked great! The tutorial worked like a charm. This was my first time trying out the antiquities embossing powder. I'd never heard of it before.

So my tag turned out pretty cool! No blunders this time. I'm hoping to finish up the other two and see if they turn out as well. I think it helped that I was using white cheap-o pastel chalk that is a little softer than school chalk.


Excellent tutorial! I'm learning so much from the 12-tags tutorials and all of the creative tutorials people post! Thanks!

This is the first time I used a stamp from my new stamp set from Chocolate Baroque. I'd ordered the stamp set forever ago, but my order got lost in the mail from England to the US. They were kind enough to send a replacement set. Whew! The set is called Fancy Flowers.

Here's the second tag I created with a Christmas theme. I used embossing enamel this time and didn't use chalk. It's kind of glopy and lumpy, but has a slight shimmer that you can't see in the photo. Very vintage looking.



Even though I'm displaying a Christmas tag, Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey, I found out some of my ancestors came over on the Mayflower, so I will be celebrating it with reverence this year in gratitude for all those who made it possible for me to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...