Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Steampunk Spells Halloween Train!


 I wanted a spooky Steampunk Spells Train for my carnival so I created this one and I love it!


I purchased a small plain wooden train from "Toys R Us" to decorate for my spooky carnival. I painted each train car. Then I cut out and glued on paper from the 8 X 8 Steampunk Spells paper pad by Graphic 45, and some from the 6 X 6 Authentique "Enchanted" paper pad. The train is adorable and creepy! I still have to finish two more train cars. Here is the train so far.


I ordered some more Tim Holtz mini-gears to go in the center of each wheel. I ran out after the train engine.


My train also could use some spooky characters to ride the train. I'll work on that as well.

I have two more train cars to finish and my train will be ready for my spooky guests to ride.
I used the Tim Holtz distress ripe persimmon for the orange train, and black soot distress paint for the wheels. I like the fluidity of the distress paint. It's fun to work with. It's like ink, but is opaque. Pretty cool on wood!! The teal and purple paint is from martha stewart. It's a nice paint as well, more like regular acrylic paint. I use scotch quick-drying tacky glue to adhere the papers to the painted wood. After the paper is dry, I sealed the paper surfaces with a matte decoupage medium. I stuck the gears on with glossy accents. I distressed the edges of the paper with the black soot distress paint. Sometimes I distressed the edges with the orange or purple paint. I usually distress with distress ink, but I didn't want it to smear when I applied the matte medium over the top. Distress paint won't smear once it's dry and you can apply matte medium over the top of it with no problem.

Here are the last two cars I finished. The open car, and the caboose.


Here's the caboose! I made the gourd out of polymer clay using a tutorial from Carloline McFarlane-Watts.


Here are the parked train cars from the back.


Here is the Steampunk Spells Train ready to go.


To see the rest of my Halloween Carnival click here.


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...